Food Processing Company
Type of Loss:
Fire started in a food processing plant due to a faulty piece of equipment located near the roof. The fire was so intense the roof collapsed over two production lines and caused further damage to the burned, smoke and water contaminated equipment.
Challenges to overcome:
- The loss occurred in October, entering the customer’s busiest time of year and prolonged downtime would drive their customers to other suppliers.
- Moving the business was not an option. The building was severely damaged but part of a multi-complex unit used for various types of food processing.
- The two production lines were over 30 years old and built mostly in house without any mechanical drawings. No specifications available other than customer line rates were available. Both lines would have to be reverse engineered.
- Aggressive timeline of only six weeks to get both processing lines back into production.
Prism Specialties’ Mitigation Response:
- All equipment was removed through a hole in the roof prior to any building repair and sent to our corporate headquarters for engineering evaluation.
- Met with customers engineers and personnel to determine line requirements.
- Started meeting with vendors of similar equipment to determine what was available and what would have to be custom made.
- All equipment that was salvageable was restored and cleaned with our proprietary cleaners and staged for shipment.
- Equipment was reinstalled while the building was still being repaired.
- We met the required start-up dates for both processing lines.
- The production output was twice the volume of the old processing lines.
- The customer improved labor efficiency by 60%.